Thursday, March 27, 2014

Resin and Glitter Don't Always Make for a Good Combination

Have you ever had that uneasy feeling when you realise you've taken on more projects than you can comfortably juggle?

I have so many projects on the go in the studio at the moment that my workspace is overflowing with works in progress. And some of these projects just shouldn't be worked on at the same time. I mean, glitter and resin are normally a great combination but when you are making man cave resin coasters, hot pink glitter is not the choice material to have floating around the studio!

Of course, it isn't helping that I'm flitting backwards and forwards between the girly project in one corner of my studio and the mancave project in the other. But I'm on a very tight time frame to meet a commission deadline and have to squeeze it all in so I am painstakingly removing these pesky specks one by one. What was I thinking working on these two projects at the same time?

The good news is that apart from the stray glitter, the man cave project is going really well!

Here's a peek at the resin process.

I forgot to take photos of the first resin pour but here you can see that the first layer of resin is already poured and cured. I've placed the sealed image face down in another layer of resin and left it to cure overnight.

Colouring the pigment for the third layer of resin came next.

Each batch of resin has to have the same intensity so the coasters are consistent in colour.

Once the pigment is thoroughly mixed, it's time to pour.

And finally, after another 24 hours of curing, it's time for the big reveal!

Well, you didn't think I was actually going to show you the finished coasters, did you? That will have to wait for another day because the customer wants to surprise her partner with them so I can't spill the beans. But I can say that they look pretty good!

Once all six of these are finished, I'll be moving back to the girly project where I can glitter away to my heart's content without fear of turning someone's man cave into a glitter palace!

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.