Thursday, December 11, 2008

Twelve Days of Christmas - Day 3

Well, day 3 of my challenge has arrived and there are no French Hens in sight. Instead my offering today is a magenta coloured card, stamped with a Magenta image and trimmed with Magenta flower peel offs - so at least it has 3 of something.

I began this one by painting a piece of silver metal shim with Burgundy, Crimson and Pearlescent Magenta Lumiere paints making sure I blended the edges really well and when it was dry, I stamped the image (41.007.N) with Jet Black StazOn ink. You don't have to use shim for this card - a piece of smooth white card stock would work equally as well - I just happened to have shim handy on my desk!

I created the tree outline with gold embroidery floss which is tucked around the back of the shim and taped in place.

The purple background on this card is silk paper. It's called paper, but it's more like fabric. Silk paper is really tough, almost impossible to tear, and yet it looks quite delicate when you hold it up to the light. This one is printed with a gold flourish pattern and with its depth of colour it really makes the magenta layer pop. I layered it to a gold card front and added some little flower peel offs and then topped the tree with a star cut out from gold metal shim and a clear crystal.

Magenta and purple are not usually associated with Christmas but with a touch of gold added to them they are rich and opulent. I imagine them as the colours of the robes worn by the Maggi who followed the star to find baby Jesus in the manger. Purple is the colour of royalty, riches and wealth. So maybe these colours are more traditional that I first thought.

Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.