Monday, September 10, 2012

Silicone Mould in a Box

My son has put in a special order for some personalised gifts to give to his friends for Christmas. They are all in their early 20s and enjoy having a quiet drink together so we decided that resin drink coasters would make a great gift.

No problems, I thought. But before that can happen, I need a mould so today I finally had reason to do something I've wanted to do for a long time: create a silicone coaster mould.
 
To make the mould making process easier, I invested in a mould box and I've got to say that this is simply the best investment I've made in quite a while. All you have to do is clamp the four walls together, putty the gaps so the silicone can't leak out and your mould box is ready to use.

After securing my master to the bottom of the mould, I mixed and poured the silicone around it and then waited for it to cure..... too easy!

The plan is to make several of these moulds so that I can cast a whole set of coasters at a time but unfortunately, to get the mould out of the mould box, I had to pull it apart. Not to worry.... it won't take too long to reassemble it. But first I'll cast the coaster in resin to see whether or not any adjustments need to be made to the master. At this stage, the mould is looking really good.

Stay tuned for pics of the finished coaster - it's a beer lover's delight!

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.