Sunday, January 22, 2012

Not All Shrink Plastic is the Same

I am so impressed with the results I got using the printable shrink plastic for my tags that I wanted to show you how much better it is than regular pre-sanded shrink plastic.

You can see quite clearly the difference in printed quality. The top one is the one I printed last year on pre-sanded shrink plastic and the bottom one is the Grafix Inkjet Shrink Plastic.

But let's take a closer look.
Even though the pre-sanded shrink plastic can be run through an inkjet printer (and it did the job quite adequately!) but the ink bleeds if it gets any moisture on it and it has a definite blurriness about it.

Now let's look at the Grafix shrink plastic.
You can see how crisp and clear the printing is. It looks so much better than the pre-sanded shrink plastic.

So the difference in quality of the printing is quite obvious but let's take a look on the back of the two samples to see what other differences there are.
See how the type is reversed? You print on the reverse side of the pre-sanded plastic because the front is glossy. So there is an extra step you need to take before you run it through the printer - reversing your type!

Now let's look at the reverse of the Grafix shrink plastic.
This is the clear inkjet shrink plastic but it isn't really clear at all once it's shrunk; it has a frosted look about it. So if you wanted to, you could also place an image on the reverse.

Have I completely sold you on the Grafix Inkjet Shrink Plastic yet? It was a lot more expensive than regular shrink plastic at approximately $5/sheet after postage but I think the results speak for themselves!

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

  1. I was madly disappointed by the grafix "clear". It really isn't clear at all, and it's not really cheap. I bought it specifically because I needed the clear quality of it so I'm quite annoyed.
    Do you know which other "clears" are actually clear, not frosted? I'm a little beside myself now!

    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim
      I totally agree - it's not clear - it's frosted. And yes, it"s expensive. I haven't found any other "clear" shrink plastics but I will update the post if I come across any.

      Delete
  2. Captivating designs deserves to go for plastic cards printing as plastic is much useful and durable...your skills inspires me a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative solving lot of queries in my mind....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its really great post which helping me a lot for solving many problems..!! Plastic card


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.