Monday, September 26, 2011

Operation Remake

If you've come for the Bead Soup Blog Party, please click here.

In my last post, I revamped a piece of 70s jewellery for my Mum and it was a great success so today I'm tackling another piece from her jewellery box.

This set was a thank you gift from one of the shop at home catalogues that she does a lot of shopping from. It looks rather plain and uninspiring. And that was a good enough reason for me to perform some cosmetic surgery on it.
Once pulled apart, the components were a lot more appealing and I had an idea to turn this piece into a substantial cuff bracelet. Here's what I had in mind:
Now, I'm not one for drawing up my designs before I start them but I did a rough sketch for this one because I had a limited number of the lovely shiny silver tubes to work with and I needed to know how many this design would take. As it turned out, I was two tubes short, so I shelved the cuff idea and went in a totally different direction.


But the idea of framing something stuck with me. I had some pretty 5-hole flower spacer bars in my stash and after fiddling with the design a bit, I came up with a long necklace featuring a beautifully framed butterfly.
The shiny silver tubes became a tassel hanging below the frame - almost like a butterfly trail! 

To tie the brown and blue of the focal together I strung faceted blue beads and copper flowers and twisted silver tubes (from my stash) to help break up the symmetry of the original design and to add a bit of a punch to the necklace.

Here's a closeup of the butterfly encased in its frame - it's almost reminiscent of a butterfly study!
My Mum is doing really well from my revamping of her jewellery at the moment. I hope you'll check back in to see the next piece I tackle.

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

  1. What a neat way of creating a "bead frame" for the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maneki. The frame actually lets the butterfly spin around which is really cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.